Thursday, May 23, 2013

Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires Of The City

10 [MUST LISTEN]

There are just so many things I can say about this album. But for the life of me I just cant figure out how to say them. All I can really express is how this album may be the most important piece of music I have ever listened to. There is so much beauty in the minds of Ezra, Rostam, CT, and Baio. The four of them plus additional producer Ariel Rechtscaid have created a spectacular record that I believe will never be forgot. The album seems to revile a bit of maturity in the song writing of Ezra Koenig. He moves away from the college campus and Cape Cod and directs his ideas to morality and the Unbelievers. Tracks like Step, Diane Young, and Don't Lie refer to Ezra's possible fear of death and aging, i.e. "There's a headstone right in front of you and everyone I know", "I love the past because I hate suspense", "Wisdom's a gift but you'd trade it for youth". In other songs like Unbelievers, Everlasting Arms, Worship You, and Ya Hey, Ezra writes about his idea and thoughts on religious beliefs. i.e. "Could I have been made to serve a master/When I’m never gonna understand, never understand", "If I’m born again I know that the world will disagree". Referencing back to the idea of morality and time, Don't Lie and Hudson both use the sound of clocks ticking in the songs referring to the passing of time and that we are constantly getting older. Though the album is a bit more serious and darker, the guys don't abandon the fun uptempo sound that they created with A-Punk. Modern Vampires of the City has a fantastic ratio of both upbeat sounds like in Diane Young, Worship You and Finger Back, and slow, melodic songs like Hannah Hunt, Hudson, Obvious Bicycle and Young Lion. This album will stick with me for a very long time and I think it will make any Vampire Weekend Unbeliever into a faithful follower. I can already tell you know, this will be The Talent's Choice for album of the year, no doubt. Sorry for the spoiler.

-The Talent

No comments:

Post a Comment