Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Shins - Port Of Morrow

9.8 [MUST LISTEN]

"You gotta hear this one song, it'll change your life I swear." A line from the 2004 film Garden State describing a song by the one and only Shins! Speaking of the Shins, did you hear, they just put out a new album? I personally am a big Shins fan. I'm actually going to see them perform live on June 1st, the day before my birthday. Happy Birthday to the Talent! Anyways, back to that new Shins album. So James Mercer and his new gang released their fourth coming album titled Port of Morrow, after the tenth and final track of the album. The LP features the hit track Simple Song that I'm sure many have heard on the radio. I had the chance to stream the entire album on iTunes about a week ago and was blown away. James Mercer is probably the most talented songwriter in the game right now. He has such a unique style, the subtlety of his writing, and his ability to tell stories with such few words is just mind blowing. You can tell that The Shins project really is his baby, they are just as good as they were back in '01 when the original gang was still together, James' ability to keep the sound with a brand new group of musicians has given me a whole new level of respect for him. The album kicks off with The Rifle's Spiral which is very psychedelic in my opinion with a hint of that Shins flare. Simple Song follows that, I'd have to say that's my favorite track so far after two listens, it's really powerful and is just a flat out exciting, passionate song. The rest of the record continues on a great streak, each song special and fantastic in its own ways. The Shins stick to their indie-rock sound but still manage to give us a new taste.


-The Talent

No comments:

Post a Comment